New year marks $900 million milestone for Auburn fundraising campaign
Auburn University began 2016 having surpassed $900 million in gifts and commitments in support of Because This is Auburn — A Campaign for Auburn University. As a result, the institution has less than 10 percent of its $1 billion campaign goal remaining.
"Through their philanthropic support, Auburn's alumni and friends continue to set new standards for generosity and loyalty," said Jane DiFolco Parker, vice president for development and president of the Auburn University Foundation. "Their belief in a better Auburn, the potential of our students and the resolve of our faculty demonstrates their genuine regard for the qualities of hard work, education and the human touch for which the Auburn Family is known."
Since the campaign surpassed the $800 million mark toward its $1 billion goal in August 2015, additional support for its student, faculty, programmatic and facility priorities has included significant and transformational gifts, such as:
- An $8 million anonymous bequest to benefit areas of greatest need within the College of Agriculture
- A $5 million commitment from Dorothy Davidson to renovate portions of Broun Hall, home to the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering's Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- A $3.3 million bequest from Bruce, Auburn class of 1996, and Pier Clyne to endow a fund for excellence to support programs in the School of Nursing
- A $3.2 million bequest from Peter, Auburn class of 1959, and Darlene Myers to endow a fund for excellence to support programs in the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering's Department of Chemical Engineering
- A $3 million anonymous bequest to endow a fund for excellence to support the College of Architecture, Design and Construction's Rural Studio program
The response to year-end mail, email and student-staffed phonathon appeals, in addition to the very positive outcome of the Dec. 1 "Tiger Giving Day," Auburn's version of national "Giving Tuesday," led to robust levels of support in December that also contributed to this milestone.
Because This is Auburn — A Campaign for Auburn University seeks to propel the university forward through a renewed commitment to its students, a continued promise to the state and a shared responsibility to the world. Auburn's goal through this comprehensive campaign — the largest in its 160-year history — is to create thousands of new scholarships for students, endow more than 100 new chairs and professorships for educators and researchers, develop programs allowing the Auburn Family to connect with people everywhere and build new facilities and reimagine existing campus facilities.
Donors may support the campaign by giving online, by phone, or through the mail. For more information or to make a donation, visit because.auburn.edu.
Media interested in this story can contact Communications Director Preston Sparks at (334) 844-9999 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Auburn University is a nationally ranked land grant institution recognized for its commitment to world-class scholarship, interdisciplinary research with an elite, top-tier Carnegie R1 classification, life-changing outreach with Carnegie’s Community Engagement designation and an undergraduate education experience second to none. Auburn is home to more than 30,000 students, and its faculty and research partners collaborate to develop and deliver meaningful scholarship, science and technology-based advancements that meet pressing regional, national and global needs. Auburn’s commitment to active student engagement, professional success and public/private partnership drives a growing reputation for outreach and extension that delivers broad economic, health and societal impact.