OSVPRED announces internal search for Associate Vice President for Research position
The office of the Senior Vice President for Research and Economic Development (SVPRED) has announced an internal search for the Associate Vice President for Research. Appointment of the Associate Vice President for Research is a critical step for the office of the SVPRED as it embarks on efforts to significantly enhance Auburn’s research enterprise.
The individual selected will work closely with the SVPRED to facilitate efforts across the university that will lead to sustained growth in research and creative scholarship. In addition, they will provide support for the various offices within the research organization, and they will be expected to represent the SVPRED in research-related internal and external (state, national and international) roles and functions as assigned. The specific distribution of responsibilities of the Associate Vice President will be determined based on the individual selected for the position. This position will have a renewable term of three years and serves at the pleasure of the Senior Vice President for Research and Economic Development.
• Rank of Professor with tenure
• At least three years of experience as a dean, associate dean, department chair or other comparable academic administrative role.
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills
• Demonstrated record of securing and successfully managing externally-sponsored research
• Excellent communication and team building skills
• Ability to obtain a DOD security clearance
• Excellent understanding of research and academic policies and procedures at Auburn University
• Extensive experience interfacing with and managing projects funded by federal agencies (NIH, NSF, USDA, DOD, etc.)
Example responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
• Promoting and developing interdisciplinary/collaborative/team-based research initiatives across campus.
• Working with the SVPRED to optimize research operations and structure, including the identification and implementation of best practices and technologies that will enhance research efficiency and productivity on the campus.
• Further defining and implementing a vision for strategic investment in research opportunities (federal and non-federal) that will leverage existing areas of expertise on the campus.
• Identifying strategic opportunities to improve proposal development and submission processes, contracting processes, and research integrity and compliance processes.
• Further defining, managing, and implementing best practices for administration of extramurally-funded projects.
• Assisting in identifying needs and developing strategies for university research facilities and related infrastructure.
• Further developing a culture of innovation at the university, supporting efforts to identify, develop and commercialize intellectual property developed from university-based research.
Applications for the position will be reviewed by the search committee who will make candidate recommendations to the Senior Vice President for Research and Economic Development. Applicants should submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and the name and contact information for three references.
Review of applications for the position will begin Sept. 18, and continue until the position is filled. Interested faculty are encouraged to submit their application as soon as conveniently possible.
Auburn University is an EEO/Vet/Disability employer.
Submitted by: Jonathan Cullum