Although rare, some situations may require a campus-wide evacuation for safety reasons. The actions you should take may vary depending on the specific circumstances of the emergency situation. Be sure to pay close attention to alerts received and instructions of emergency responders.
- Evacuation orders should be disseminated via AU ALERT.
- DO NOT activate the building fire alarm system to achieve evacuation.
- Remain calm, but act quickly.
- If necessary and safe to do so, promptly secure equipment, research, etc. in safe shutdown condition before leaving.
- Spread the word of the evacuation order to others as you exit the building.
- Remember to take personal belongings with you (backpacks, briefcases, purses, car keys, personal computing devices, etc.)
- Pedestrians should exit campus by the shortest route. Direction of evacuation will be dependent on the situation. Use crosswalks, obey police directions, and do not impede traffic flow.
- Exit campus as directed in the AU ALERT message or other official instructions.
- You may use your vehicle to leave campus unless directed otherwise via AU ALERT.
- If possible, Tiger Transit will continue to operate off-campus routes, outbound only. Bus pickup locations may be altered. Changes will be announced and posted at alerts.auburn.edu.
- Police will assist with traffic control on and off campus.
- Do not dial 911 (or 9-911 from a campus phone) unless there is an immediate, life-threatening emergency.
- Go to alerts.auburn.edu for regular updates on the emergency situation and information on returning to campus.
Last Updated: Mar. 18, 2015