All bomb threats should be taken seriously. If you receive a bomb threat:
- Stay composed.
- Keep the caller on the phone and gather as much information as possible, using the bomb threat checklist if available.
- While still on the phone, get the attention of someone nearby if possible and tell them to DIAL 911 immediately.
- If you have caller ID, write down the number displayed.
- If the caller hangs up:
- Dial *57 immediately. This must be done before the next incoming call.
- Document the time of the call and the time you dialed *57.
- If 911 has not been called, so do immediately.
- Relay information to first responders as soon as possible and follow their directions.
- Do not touch any suspicious packages.
- Cooperate with emergency personnel while they evaluate the threat.
- If the building is evacuated, do not return into the building unless told to by the emergency responders.
- When you are told that you can return to the building, look around as you enter and report anything suspicious or out of place to the police immediately.
Last Updated: Mar. 18, 2015