Auburn University
Auburn University
 
 
 
 

President’s Medallion

The Auburn University Board of Trustees authorized the creation of the President’s Medallion on March 15, 1966. The piece is crafted in gold from a design developed by a faculty committee. The face of the medallion depicts varying lengths of rays from a classic lamp to symbolize the light of knowledge traveling outward. The background for the lamp is dark blue enamel. The blue field is encircled by a quotation from William Butler Yeats, “Truth flourishes where the student’s lamp has shone.” The seal of Auburn University is engraved on the back. The medallion was introduced at the inauguration of President Harry M. Philpott on May 13, 1966.

Auburn University Seal

The original seal was designed for Alabama Polytechnic Institute by famous alum William Spratling and adopted by the Board of Trustees on May 30, 1921. The university’s current seal is a modified version adapted to reflect the name change to Auburn University.