Auburn Foods launching April 21 with campus event
Auburn University is officially launching its Auburn Foods brand Friday, April 21, with a "Tigers on the Green" event from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. on the Campus Green. Auburn Foods is the brand that encompasses local foods produced on campus or in the community and then is served at dining locations at the university.
"Tiger Dining has partnered with local farmers and producers to acquire fresh food to serve on campus," said Glenn Loughridge, director of Tiger Dining. "Many of the foods our students are eating on campus are grown right here in Auburn, and the Auburn Foods brand allows us to highlight that and share the true farm-to-table nature of the meals being served."
Tigers on the Green will serve as an opportunity for the campus community to sample the locally grown foods being served on campus and meet the producers. Some of the producers who will be in attendance include T.Lish Dressings, Marinades and Sauces; Wickles Pickles; O Town Ice Cream; and more.
Loughridge said the decision to partner with local vendors is a win-win for everyone involved.
"The producers get to have their foods served on campus, and the people eating the food have access to some of the freshest, most local food available," he said. "These foods travel the shortest possible distance from the farm to the plate, so Auburn students are getting extremely fresh, nutrient-rich food."
In addition, Auburn students are involved with the work on Auburn Foods, ranging from students studying the aquaponics project to the College of Agriculture growing and producing foods.
"When you eat Auburn Foods, you're supporting experimentation, education and university growth," Loughridge said.
- Auburn Office of Sustainability recognizes campus, community efforts with 2017 Spirit of Sustainability Awards
- Letter from Provost and Chief Diversity Officer regarding Spencer event
- Update for the campus community regarding Spencer event
- Twitter vice president to highlight Auburn University’s fifth annual 100+ Women Strong Leadership and Development Conference
- Auburn University student work on display at student-produced Fashion Event Thursday