Philanthropic gift to Auburn University leads to Pebble Hill renovation, addition

Published: June 05, 2015
Font Size

Article body

Pebble Hill, an 1847 antebellum cottage on Debardeleben Street in Auburn also known as the Scott-Yarbrough House, will be renovated to honor its mid-1800s origins while continuing to serve as the intersection of town and gown, thanks to a charitable gift to Auburn University.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Pebble Hill currently serves as home to the Caroline Marshall Draughon Center for the Arts and Humanities, part of Auburn University's College of Liberal Arts.

As part of the project, a companion building designed to complement the main building will include an assembly room capable of seating 100 people, as well as administrative office space. The renovation and building project will allow Pebble Hill to once again conduct on-site programming, especially conferences, exhibitions, book talks and lectures.

Pebble Hill is an important site of Auburn and state history. It has borne witness to Native American occupation, two Civil War raids, as a home to generations of Auburn students and the site for many notable university events, milestones and visiting dignitaries.

To learn more about giving in support of the Pebble Hill construction project or other student, faculty, program and facility initiatives or to make an online gift, go to www.because.auburn.edu/how-to-give.

For construction photos and a history of Pebble Hill, visit the Center for Arts and Humanities website at www.auburn.edu/cah or the center's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/cmdcah.

Related Links